Saturday, March 14, 2009

Blessed to Be a Blessing

I was sitting at the front of the church in Ganapavaram on Sunday morning, particularly excited for what God had in store. The previous day, Thomas, Peter, and I had been to the village found out all the homes who had babies in them under the age of one -- there were twelve with two on the way. We encouraged them to come to church the next morning (some were already regular attenders) to if they needed clothing for their babies. I went home that night excited to go through everything that I had brought with me from America (three suitecases full of children's clothing) to see what I could find. Seeing as we only have one baby under two and a half at the children's home, I found many outfits to give away (as well as medicine).Our village church is mostly comprised of children -- our kids coming in and reaching out to the kids in the village. Some parents come as well, but the goal is to reach the kids who will in turn bring Christ to their families. That morning, the church filled quickly as mothers and fathers brought their babies and placed them in my hands. One by one, I pulled outfits out of the bag we brought and clothed all the babies. I think I was more blessed than they were. I guess it is true that we are more blessed to give than to receive.
As I collected clothes prior to my trip, this was what I had envisioned. I never dreamed it would happen. Of course I brought many things for the children here at OAFA, but I wanted to also be able to reach out to the community. As my first month and a half here passed, I doubted as to how I would be able to use all that I had brought to bless the community. Despite my unbelief, our God is faithful and answered my prayers.
Many people heard the Word of God preached that day as Thomas taught Romans 12. I was so encouraged. Being both white and American I get a lot of attention when I go out and people assuming things about me. It is often frustrating because I see it as a hiderance to the minstry that God has called me to and a distraction for a lot of people because it seems that is all that they care about.For the first time since I arrived in India, God showed me how he is going to use me despite the obstacles my white skin creates sometimes. As we drove home that afternoon, Thomas said something that really hit home for me.

He said, "You know, you were able to reach an audience today in a way that I never would have been able to. By caring for people's children as you do, you open the door to the hearts of the parents. You are able to draw people in like I can't and once they are here, no matter the reason, we get to preach the Gosepl to them."
I was so encouraged. Praise God that can use a white, American girl who doesn't even speak the language to bless a community.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." --Matthew 25:35-36

P.S. Thank you to all of you who helped in buying the clothes I gave out. You know who you are. :) You can check out my Shutterfly site for more pictures at http://breanabrendsel.shutterfly.com/

1 comment:

  1. what beautiful children. I cannot wait to be over there with you to actually be in the midst of everything I just read about over here.
    Tell Thomas, Peter and ALL of the children that I say hi and I'll see you in a month!!
    Love!

    ReplyDelete