Friday, May 1, 2009

Birthday Bash!

My 21st birthday came and went and would be described by many as quite uneventful. There were no loud parties, no clubs, no alcohol, no huge dinner parties -- none of the expected aspects of customary American 21st birthday celebrations. Instead, I woke up to my bright eyed kids wishing me a happy birthday, hundreds of hugs, a huge birthday cake, a beautiful family that I've been adopted into, cake fights, singing, and so many beautiful smiles. It was wonderful.

Although I have had many wonderful birthday memories, I will admit that I've never been too fond of April 29th. I'm not really sure why -- I think the attention just makes me uneasy. Regardless, this birthday has planted many thoughts in my mind as I have reflected the past year and looked toward what God has in store for me for the future. As I held the hand of a dying man today, I was reminded once again of the brevity of our lives.


Lord, I surrender the 21st year of my life to you. May you take each day and direct my path toward what honors you. For to live is Christ and to die is gain.

1 comment:

  1. on my 21st birthday i went to school, sat in the weight room for 5 hours, had dinner with the fam, played upwords with dave and krista, and then brenda and her sister came over and we had smores with my little sibs. haha. we're such partiers.
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete