Friday, February 20, 2009

Hyderabad -- Day 2

After a morning meeting with a missions organization that didn't go so well, we decided to explore more of Hyderabad. We spent the better part of the morning at a park on Hussainsagar Lake, a man-made lake dating back to 1562. I experienced a little more Indian culture as I sat and had a henna tattoo applied to the front and back of my hands. The design in the picture below was drawn freehand and she did exceptional work. About an hour later, I washed off the excess and there I had my first henna tattoo. (Don't worry, Dad! It's only temporary!)

Afterward, we got on a boat that took us out to the middle of the lake where one of the world's largest monolithic statues of Buddha stands on the "Rock of Gibraltar." It was quite the site to see.
Another place that Thomas and I went was a huge Hindu temple to the Lord Venkateshwara that rests on the top of a hill overlooking the city. It is known as Birla Mandir: God's Marble Home. The pictures below are not my own because they did not allow cameras or cell phones there. The temple was incredible. It was made from 2000 tons of pure Rajasthani white marble and was frequented by hundreds of Hindus coming to offer they prayers and worship of their many gods. There were hardly any foreigners or non-Hindus there -- practically everyone who came made the trek up the hillock day to pray to their many gods.
Thomas and I walked all around the temple observing the people and structure that we were seeing. I was at a loss for words. These people were sold out. They were one hundred percent devoted to what they knew to be truth. They put me to shame in their reverence and devotion to what they believe. Although it was sad to see so many people walking in darkness, it was more a powerful reminder of who my God is and the honor and devotion that He deserves. We walked around the structure at the top of the temple again and again and again, crying out to God for His name and His power to be shown to these people. My heart was heavy and burdened not just for the people there, but more for the people of the Christian faith. We have been given life -- the very presence of God living in us -- and even so we often fail to devote ourselves to the author and perfecter of our faith. What a powerful way to convict my heart of where I rest my priorities. I am so humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment