Monday, February 9, 2009

The Sting of Abandonment

All the little kids were watching a movie with Thomas and I and a few of them fell asleep. We came back about an hour later to wake two of the boys up who were still sleeping. Like any kid, these kids do not enjoy being woken up and most of them are quite heavy sleepers. One boy in particular, Prasad, was not wanting to wake up. Prasad is six years old and couldn't walk when he was little. He still has trouble getting up at times, but is a very happy boy now. After he woke up he started to cry and began rocking himself back and forth quite fast. I was confused for a second what he was doing. Thomas explained to me that he was rocking himself back to sleep. He said that kids who have been abandoned and didn't have someone there to rock them to sleep as babies learned to rock themselves to sleep. It was just another harsh reminder of the reality of these kids' suffering. What a cruel world we live in.

This story breaks my heart. Every time I think about what these kids have gone through I cringe. But then I remember the cross and all that it means to these kids and how God rescued them and has given them new life. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment